Protect what’s important to you

  • Spread the annual cost with interest-free monthly payments, letting you budget over the long term
  • No maths required – up to £75,000 contents cover and £1,000,000 buildings cover comes as standard
  • Don't wait for your renewal date - switch today and you'll receive cancellation fees up to the value of £125 that might be charged by your existing insurer

  • Insurance that’s independently rated as Five-Star by Moneyfacts
  • Things change. That’s why we won’t penalise you with administration charges if you need to fine-tune your policy mid-term**

What’s included

  • Police Mutual provides:
  • Pay monthly, at no extra cost
  • Switch at any time, with cancellation fees of up to £125 paid when you switch to us
  • Buildings Insurance covers for:
  • £1,000,000 buildings cover as standard (including outbuildings)
  • Content Insurance covers for:
  • Home Emergency Cover as standard (up to £500 per claim), should the unexpected happen
  • £75,000 contents cover as standard (including contents in outbuildings)
  • Alternative accommodation following an insured loss, to help you sleep easy

What’s not included

  • For Buildings and Contents:
  • General maintenance, wear and tear (buildings and contents)
  • Storm or flood damage to fences, hedges or gates (buildings)
  • For Home Emergency Cover:
  • Events that do not result in your home becoming damaged, unsafe or insecure to stay in
  • The costs of reinstatement or redecorating your home where damage has been caused
  • Heating breakdown if your boiler is more than 15 years old
  • Warm air, LPG and solar heating
  • Leaking appliances
Terms & Conditions apply, please check your policy documents for details.
The (not so) small print

Policy restrictions and exclusions can apply, please see the policy wording for more information.

** PMGI Limited may make a charge for policy cancellation.

Home Emergency & Family Legal Protection cover is underwritten by HDI Global Speciality SE and administered by ARAG plc.
For more details, please see our legal page.

Need to claim? Need to claim?

Call the claims department: 0345 603 4325
Mon-Fri 8.00am-8.00pm, Saturday 9.00am-1.00pm
Outside of these hours, emergency claims assistance is provided by ARAG plc.
To make a claim under Home Emergency Cover call ARAG plc:
0333 000 7965
Moneyfacts Home 5 Star logo

Five-Star Home Insurance
Police Mutual Home Insurance is independently rated as a Five-Star policy by Moneyfacts.

Open Quote

We're here to help

Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm
Close Quote

Home Insurance documents

It's important you understand all of the Key Information for Home Insurance. We recommend you read the following documents including the Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) before you get a quote or buy and keep it in a safe place.

Your Questions Answered Your Home Insurance questions answered

  • You can pay your premiums monthly by Direct Debit if you want to. Unlike many other insurers, we won't charge you extra on top of your normal yearly premium.

  • Contents

    You need to think about all the things you have within your home and how much it would cost to replace them as new. 

    We provide £75,000 contents cover as standard (including contents in outbuildings).



    You need to work out how much it would cost to rebuild your home. Consider things such as demolition costs, surveyor's fees and the actual cost to rebuild your home.

    We provide £1,000,000 buildings cover as standard (including outbuildings).
  • Call the UK based claim line on 0345 603 4325 (Mon-Fri 8.00am-8.00pm, Sat 9.00am-1.00pm)

    If you'd like to make a claim against your Home Emergency Cover, please call 0333 000 7965, this is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a week and is provided by ARAG plc.

  • Buildings are the structure of your home, including outbuildings such as garages and sheds. They also include the permanent fixtures and fittings within these structures e.g. bathrooms and fitted kitchens.

  • You can add these to the personal possessions section of your Contents Insurance quote, which covers accidental loss, damage or theft of any of your personal belongings worldwide (such as jewellery items, cameras and mobile phones).

    The minimum cover we offer is £2,000 (no single item worth more than £2,000). However, if you have a single items worth more than this amount, then this will be covered if it is specified on your policy at an extra cost, which can be done when you get a quote.

  • Contents are the items you use to furnish your home, such as carpets and furniture, also including all your personal belongings e.g. jewellery and clothing.

  • Valuables mean:

    • Stamp, coin or medal collections
    • Pictures
    • Other works of art
    • Items of gold, silver or any other precious metal
    • Jewellery
    • Furs
  • If you need to make a change, such as a change of address or requiring a new level of cover, just call our UK-based helpline and we'll be happy to help.

    If there’s a change in your premium, we'll let you know.

    Call us on 0151 242 7640 Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm.
  • If you need to cancel your policy, just call our UK-based helpline and we'll be happy to help.

    Please note, if you cancel your Police Mutual insurance policy within 14 days of receiving your policy documents, you’ll only be charged for the period of time you’ve been covered. If you cancel the policy more than 14 days after receiving your policy documents, you’ll be charged for the period of time you've been covered plus we’ll charge a £40 administration fee for cancelling the policy.

    Call us on 0151 242 7640 Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm.

  • This policy insures against the main perils such as  fire, theft and escape of water as standard.

    We also automatically include accidental damage, with Contents Insurance, which covers damage to televisions, computers, stereos, mirrors, and accidental loss of heating fuel or metered water (up to £5,000).

    We also automatically include accidental damage, with Buildings Insurance, which covers damage to sanitary fixtures, underground pipes and cables and fixed glass.

    Extended accidental damage can be added to your policy, at an extra cost, under both Buildings and Contents Insurance to cover any damage that may be caused by you or your family, including examples such as putting a nail in a wall and bursting a pipe, or spilling wine or paint on your carpet.

  • You have the option to upgrade your cover to ensure that if part of a pair, set or suite is damaged, lost or stolen, the cost of replacing any undamaged items if they cannot be matched will be paid. Under the buildings section this would cover your bathroom and kitchen. The contents section will include items such as a 3-piece suite or dining room furniture.

  • Cover is automatically provided up to £5,000 for your child's belongings kept within temporary accommodation while at university. Cover can extend to outside the accommodation if personal belongings cover is selected.
  • You can pay for your policy either annually by card, or monthly (via Direct Debit) and, unlike many other insurers, if you choose monthly, we won't charge you extra on top of your normal annual premium.

  • If this policy doesn’t meet your requirements, our team will be happy to discuss your needs. Please call us on 0151 242 7640 Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm.

  • Home Emergency Cover provides immediate assistance for a number of domestic emergencies.

    Cover is provided 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will pay up to £500 for parts, materials and labour charges. Emergency situations that may arise include the breakdown of the main heating supply, plumbing and drainage problems, loss of domestic power supply and roof damage.

    If you'd like to make a claim against your Home Emergency Cover, please call 0333 000 7965, this is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a week and is provided by ARAG plc.

  • Family Legal Protection helps protect you and your family should you need to pursue or defend your legal rights. It’s designed to help in a number of situations including:

    • The sale or purchase of goods and services
    • If your identity is used by another person to commit fraud or other crimes
    • If you have an employment dispute such as a claim for unfair dismissal or redundancy or if, during the course of your employment, a criminal charge is or could be brought against you
    • Pursuing a claim for death or injury against a negligent third party
    • Disputes with your neighbours regarding a boundary dispute, noise or other legal nuisance

    Please note: The cost of legal cover will be included within the quote if the option is selected.